EO4Cultivar Peru: Resources 2021
The EO4cultivar Project aims to increase the resilience and sustainability of commercial agricultural supply chains operating between Colombia, Peru, Paraguay and the UK. Two case studies have been undertaken as part of the project, in Colombia and Peru. The Peruvian case study applies an integrated ecosystem approach to sustainable land management in the Virú Valley of the La Libertad region on the Pacific coastline of northern Peru. The main export crops in the region include asparagus, red pepper, avocado, artichoke, and sugar cane.
The outputs from the case study include an online mapper, containing interactive maps, which consider flooding, soil erosion and ecological connectivity. To accompany the mapper, the data underlying the mapper are available to download, along with the two project reports. A series of management guides have also been produced. The project also generated a biodiversity inventory and species distribution information for the study area that are available to download (available in Spanish).
Project reports and data
The data from the mapper are available to download, along with two technical reports and the accompanying maps:
- Habitat Mapping Report: This report sets out the process, methods and data that have been used to create the habitat map that underpins the modelled ecosystem service outputs.
- Ecosystem Service Mapping Report: This report sets out the process, methods and data that have been adopted to create the modelled ecosystem service outputs.
- Ecosystem service maps: Illustrations of the ecosystem service maps with summary text explaining each map, are available for download in .pdf format.
- Habitat Map and Ecosystem Service Modelling Data Download: the outputs of the habitat and ecosystem service mapping are open-access and available to download as a zip file. The data include: a 10 m resolution habitat map of the area of interest, river system and urban land cover masks, area of interest boundaries, and metadata. Data are provided in .cpg .dbf .prj .qml .qpj .shp .shx formats.
In order to link the ecosystem service modelling to practical management interventions on the ground, the project developed a set of management guides that can be used in conjunction with the ecosystem service modelled outputs. The guides focus on the management of water, soil, and biodiversity:
- Soil Management Guide: provides information on the function that soils plays in delivering ecosystem services and the type of ecosystem-based management that can be undertaken to sustainably manage soil.
- Water Management Guide: provides contextual information regarding ecosystem services that influence the supply and management of water resources.
- Biodiversity Management Guide: provides contextual information on the function that biodiversity plays in delivering benefits to humans through the concept of ecosystem services.
Biodiversity information for the Virú Valley and La Libertad region
Three Peruvian ecologists from the University of Ica joined the EO4c project team to assist with data collection. Dr Alfonso Orellana García, Jesús Ormeño and Marvin Torres of the University of Ica and University of San Marcos produced a species checklist and generated information and distribution maps for plants, insects, birds, lizards and mammals found in La Libertad. These resources are available in Spanish.
For more information, visit the project webpage.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2021·08·01
The EO4cultivar Project is funded by the UK Space Agency under the International Partnership Programme and began in 2017.
Communications, JNCC resourceProvider
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2021·08·23
Metadata point of contact