Lewisian, Torridonian and Moine Rocks of Scotland (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 34) 2009
Volume 34 of the Geological Conservation Review series, Lewisian, Torridonian and Moine Rocks of Scotland, describes the outcrops of Precambrian rocks that lie north-west of the Great Glen Fault in the North-west Highlands of Scotland and in the Outer Hebrides and parts of Shetland.
The GCR sites encompass a very wide range of rock types of different ages, affected by tectonic processes that have occurred over many millions of years. Indeed, only a few sites focus on a single geological feature. The mountain scenery of the North-west Highlands in places strongly reflects these varied rock-types. This is nowhere better illustrated than in the Assynt district of Sutherland, where the Torridonian basal unconformity has been exhumed and sandstone mountains protrude upwards from the peneplained surface of the Lewisian gneisses. However, elsewhere it is Cainozoic peneplained surfaces and more-recent glacial processes that have controlled the current topography, effectively masking the complex lithological and structural template beneath.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – Lewisian, Torridonian and Moine rocks of Scotland: an introduction
- Chapter 2 – Lewisian Gneiss Complex of the Outer Hebrides
- Chapter 3 – Lewisian of the Scottish mainland
- Chapter 4 – Torridonian rocks of Great Britain
- Chapter 5 – Moine Thrust Belt
- Chapter 6 – Moine (North)
- Chapter 7 – Moine (Central)
- Chapter 8 – Moine (South)
- Chapter 9 – Lewisian and Moine of Shetland
- References, Glossary and Index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2009··
Mendum, J.R., Barber, A.J., Butler, R.W.H., Flinn, D., Goodenough, K.M., Krabbendam, M., Park, R.G. & Stewart, A.D. 2009. Lewisian, Torridonian and Moine Rocks of Scotland, Geological Conservation Review Series No. 34, JNCC, Peterborough.
Volume 34 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2023·01·04
Metadata point of contact