The UK SPA network: its scope and contents (Volumes 1–3) 2001
This publication presents a comprehensive review of the UK's Special Protection Areas; sites classified in accordance with the EC Birds Directive to protect birds and their habitats. It is also known as the UK SPA review.
The publication is presented in three volumes:
- Volume 1: Rationale for the selection of sites (chapters 1–8 and appendices 1–4) – This volume includes the UK SPA selection guidelines, how these guidelines have been implemented, and a summary of the content of the UK SPA network.
- Volume 2: Species accounts (appendices 5 & 6) – This volume summarises data handling approaches and provides detailed accounts for the species and assemblages of birds for which SPAs have been classified in the UK.
- Volume 3: Site accounts (appendices 7 & 8) – This volume presents location maps of the UK's SPAs and detailed profiles of each site, including the list of species for which each has been classified.
Please note, when these volumes were first published, in 2001, on JNCC's old website, the information from them was also presented as a series of webpages and individual documents. This information is available through The National Archives website, by using the following links:
- Further information on all three volumes.
- Species accounts (provided as a series of individual documents) – from Volume 2
- Site accounts (provided as a series of webpages) – from Volume 3.
Please also note that whilst every effort to redirect links from our old website to our new website, some of the links within these documents may no longer work.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Biota
Reference date 2001··
Stroud, D.A., Chambers, D., Cook, S., Buxton, N., Fraser, B., Clement, P., Lewis, P., McLean, I., Baker, H. & Whitehead, S. (eds). 2001. The UK SPA network: its scope and content. JNCC, Peterborough.
A comprehensive review of the UK's Special Protection Areas, also known as the UK SPA Review
Communications, JNCC author
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2020·02·11
Metadata point of contact