Conservation Designations for UK Taxa 2020
This collection of files detail the conservation designations of over 13,000 UK "taxa" that have been assigned some form of rarity, threat or legal status in Great Britain or the UK. It is a collation of many different "designation" lists including country-specific lists, and lists produced by national and International conventions or directives.
The collection contains an Excel workbook, a guidance document detailing how to use the spreadsheet and a document detailing the constituents lists included in the spreadsheet, available to download either separately or as a zipped file.
The following designation types are included in the spreadsheet:
- Bern Convention (Appendices 1, 2 and 3);
- Bonn Convention – Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species (Appendices 1 and 2, AEWA, ASCOBANS, EUROBATS);
- Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) UK priority species list;
- Birds Directive (Annexes 1, 2.1 and 2.2);
- Birds of Conservation Concern (Red/Amber list and not based on IUCN criteria);
- Convention on Migratory Species
- EC CITES (Annexes A, B, C and D);
- Global Red list status (this includes red listings based on pre-1994, 1994 and 2001 IUCN guidelines);
- Habitats Directive (Annexes 2, 4 and 5);
- Nationally Rare/Scarce (not based on IUCN criteria);
- Nationally Scarce and Nationally Rare Species (also with an IUCN status);
- National Red Lists (this includes red listings based on pre-1994, 1994 and 2001 IUCN guidelines);
- Protection of Badgers Act 1992;
- Species of principal importance in England, Scotland, Wales and North Ireland (NERC section 41 and 42 lists, Scottish Biodiversity List and Northern Ireland Priority Species List);
- The Conservation (Nature Habitats) Regulations (NI) 1995 (Schedule 2, 3 and 4);
- The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 (Schedule 2, 4 and 5);
- The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 1, 5 and 8);
- Wildlife (NI) Order 1985 (Schedule 1 part 1, Schedule 1 part 2, Schedule 5, Schedule 8 part 1, Schedule 8 part 2)
Please note, this is not a fully comprehensive collation of designations for UK species; for example, local red list assessments are not included, and for some reporting categories only selected annexes/appendices/schedules are included. Note that the generic term "taxa" is in this context a more strictly accurate term than "species" because some of the listed entities are ranked as being either above or below the "species" level.
Further information, including details of updates, is available on the Conservation designations webpage.
Resource type NonGeographicDataset
Topic category Biota
Reference date 2020·01·17
This dataset is a collation of various conservation designation listings. JNCC compiles the information from a variety of published sources such as Red lists, Taxon Status Reviews, UK Priority species lists and schedules of international and national legislation. The species names on these lists are all cross referenced to the recommended taxon names on the UK Species Dictionary managed by the Natural History Museum on behalf of the National Biodiversity Network. This matching process ensures that all of the designations relating to an individual species are all correctly tagged for that species. On some published lists the designated names are for groups of organisms such as "all bats" or "all cetaceae" (whales and dolphins). In such cases the individual species naturally occurring within the UK are listed. The first version of this list was published in 2004. An audit trail of subsequent updates is shown here https://jncc.gov.uk/our-work/conservation-designations-for-uk-taxa-updates/ The JNCC collation of species designations is used within the Recorder biological recording software package.
Digital and Data Solutions, JNCC custodian
Limitations on public access No Limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence v3. Re-use requires acknowledgement of the source of the information in your product or application by including or linking to the following attribution statement: "Contains JNCC/NE/NRW/SNH/NIEA data © copyright and database right 2019".
Metadata date 2020·02·11
Metadata point of contact
Digital and Data Solutions, JNCC
Temporal extent 1979·01·01 2020·01·17