British Cambrian to Ordovician Stratigraphy (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 18) 2000
Volume 18 of the Geological Conservation Review series, British Cambrian to Ordovician Stratigraphy, describes some 130 sites that encapsulate key features of the Cambrian and Ordovician systems in Britain.
Vast numbers of fossil species have been described from the varied suite of environmental settings represented in the British Cambrian and Ordovician rocks; many of them are taxonomically important and many are representative of geologically and geographically widespread groups. Palaeontologists world-wide refer to these and require knowledge of their provenance for evolutionary studies, stratigraphical research, and for understanding the changing patterns of continental movement through geological time.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – General introduction
- Chapter 2 – Introduction to Cambrian stratigraphy
- Chapter 3 – Cambrian of North Wales
- Chapter 4 – Cambrian of South Wales: St David's area
- Chapter 5 – Cambrian rocks of England
- Chapter 6 – Introduction to Ordovician stratigraphy
- Chapter 7 – Tremadoc Series in Wales and England
- Chapter 8 – Arenig to Ashgill in South Wales
- Chapter 9 – Arenig to Ashgill of North Wales
- Chapter 10 – Arenig to Caradoc of Shropshire
- Chapter 11 – Arenig to Ashgill of northern England
- Chapter 12 – Scotland: Cambrian and Ordovician of the Hebridean Terrane
- Chapter 13 – Scotland: Cambrian and Ordovician of the Grampian Terrane and Highland Border Sub-terrane
- Chapter 14 – Scotland: Ordovician of the Midland Valley Terrane
- Chapter 15 – Scotland: Ordovician of the Southern Uplands Terrane
- References, Glossary, Fossil Index and General Index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2000··
Rushton, A.W.A., Owen, A.W., Owens, R.M. & Prigmore, J.K. 2000. British Cambrian to Ordovician Stratigraphy. Geological Conservation Review Series No. 18, JNCC, Peterborough, ISBN 1 86107 4727.
Volume 18 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2022·03·24
Metadata point of contact