British Lower Carboniferous Stratigraphy (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 29) 2004
Volume 29 of the Geological Conservation Review series, British Lower Carboniferous Stratigraphy, represents the first detailed account of the scientific interest at Britain’s most important Lower Carboniferous stratigraphical sites, and includes the most comprehensive Lower Carboniferous bibliography compiled to date
Lower Carboniferous rocks crop out over a wide area in Britain and form areas of spectacular coastal and upland scenery encompassing the Midland Valley of Scotland, the Pennines, Lake District, North and South Wales, the Mendips and South-west England. Economically, they provide an important source of raw materials for the construction industry, some are host rocks for metallogenic mineral deposits, and others have potential as source or reservoir rocks for hydrocarbons.
The sites described form part of a national GCR site network that records the geological history of Britain during Early Carboniferous times and provide a framework for the national and international correlation of Lower Carboniferous sequences. These sequences are particularly significant in understanding the evolution of ancient carbonate platforms and many have been used to define sedimentary models that are used in exploration for important economic resources.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to British Lower Carboniferous stratigraphy
- Chapter 2 – Midland Valley Basin
- Chapter 3 – Northumberland Trough
- Chapter 4 – Lake District Block and Alston Block
- Chapter 5 – Stainmore Basin and Askrigg Block
- Chapter 6 – Craven Basin
- Chapter 7 – Derbyshire Platform, North Staffordshire Basin and Hathern Shelf
- Chapter 8 – North Wales Shelf
- Chapter 9 – South Wales – Mendip Shelf
- Chapter 10 – Culm Trough
- References, Glossary, Fossil Index and Index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2004··
Cossey, P.J., Adams, A.E., Purnell, M.A., Whiteley, M.J., Whyte, M.A. & Wright, V.P. 2004 British Lower Carboniferous Stratigraphy. Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 29, JNCC, Peterborough.
Volume 29 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2022·07·04
Metadata point of contact