Quaternary of Northern England (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 25) 2002
Volume 25 of the Geological Conservation Review series, Quaternary of Northern England, provides an invaluable resource for those interested in the British Quaternary record in northern England and evidence for associated climatic changes.
The Quaternary is a time of rapid and major climatic change that has had a significant role in shaping the natural landscape of northern England. This volume contains 78 accounts of Geological Conservation Review sites that collectively hold the key to understanding how these climatic changes affected the natural environment of this area, which includes the Cheviot Hills, the Pennines, the Lake District, the Peak District, the North Yorkshire Moors and all of the surrounding lowland areas. The volume includes discussion of the evidence for Tertiary and Early Pleistocene landscape evolution, for glacial and periglacial landforming processes and stratigraphy, for sea-level fluctuations, and for the effects of climate change on the flora and fauna. The impact of man in the Holocene on vegetation and river processes of northern England is also considered at particular sites.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to the Quaternary of northern England
- Chapter 2 – Late Cainozoic environmental change
- Chapter 3 – Pre-Quaternary landscape development
- Chapter 4 – The pre-Devensian glacial and interglacial record
- Chapter 5 – The Devensian glacial record
- Chapter 6 – The Late-glacial record of northern England
- Chapter 7 – Periglacial landforms and slope deposits of northern England
- Chapter 8 – The Holocene (Flandrian) history and record of northern England
- References, Glossary, Glossary of botanical names, Fossil index and General index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2002··
Huddart, D. & Glasser, N.F. 2007. Quaternary of Northern England. Geological Conservation Review Series No. 25, JNCC, Peterborough, ISBN 1 86107 490 5.
Volume 25 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2022·06·27
Metadata point of contact