Precambrian Rocks of England and Wales (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 20) 2000
Volume 20 of the Geological Conservation Review series, Precambrian Rocks of England and Wales, describes the Precambrian GCR sites found in England and Wales.
Because of their complexity and isolated nature, the various Precambrian occurrences proved difficult to correlate regionally before the advent of precise radiometric age dating and in-depth geochemical analysis. The relevance of these new advances is therefore highlighted in this volume, which groups the various GCR sites into networks reflecting the current conceptual framework of the Precambrian basement as a 'collage' of separate terranes. Critical exposures are described which show that the terranes evolved independently of each other, but were subsequently amalgamated together along major tectonic boundaries, in the very latest Precambrian.
A palaeontology chapter is devoted to the three site groupings that show rare, enigmatic Precambrian fossil impressions, referred to the world-famous Ediacaran faunal assemblage.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to the Precambrian rocks of England and Wales
- Chapter 2 – Charnwood Forest
- Chapter 3 – Nuneaton Inlier
- Chapter 4 – Malvern Hills
- Chapter 5 – Shropshire, Radnor and Llangynog
- Chapter 6 – Wales, south and east of the Menai Strait
- Chapter 7 – Anglesey and the Lleyn Peninsula (Llyn)
- Chapter 8 – Precambrian palaeontological sites
- Chapter 9 – Sites with rocks of possible Lower Palaeozoic age
- References, Glossary and Index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2000··
Carney, J.N., Horak, J.M., Pharaoh, T.C., Gibbons, W., Wilson, D., Barclay, W.J., Bevins, R.E., Cope, J.C.W. & Ford, T.D. 2000. Precambrian Rocks of England and Wales. Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 20, JNCC, Peterborough, ISBN 1 86107 4875.
Volume 20 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2022·04·11
Metadata point of contact