Natura 2000 (N2K) site summary details spreadsheet 2020
We’re reviewing the information and data we provide on UK SACs and SPAs. Does the information we provide meet your needs? Find out more and complete our user-needs survey.
This spreadsheet contains the latest UK-wide data submitted to the EU Commission as part of the Standard Data Form information completed for all Natura 2000 sites. It contains details of all Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Special Protection Areas (SPAs) in the UK (note that Gibraltar information is not included in this spreadsheet). The spreadsheet was last updated in December 2020, prior to the UK's exit from the European Union.
The information follows the officially agreed site information format for Natura 2000 sites, as set out in the Official Journal of the European Union recording the Commission Implementing Decision of 11 July 2011 (2011/484/EU). The content matches exactly the data submitted to the European Commission. Further technical documentation may be found on the Eionet website.
The information provided in the Standard Data Forms was resubmitted with substantive changes in December 2015. The rationale behind this is explained in the UK Approach Document.
More general information on Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) in the United Kingdom is available from the SAC home page on JNCC's website. More general information on Special Protection Areas (SPAs) in the United Kingdom is available from the SPA home page on JNCC's website.
This sheet is organised in a series of tabs, corresponding to different sections of the standard data form. On some tabs, SPA and SAC data are separated, whereas on others they are combined. Where they are combined, there is a column to indicate the type of site (SAC or SPA). All sheets are filterable by country code (E, S, W, NI and OF for offshore). Cross-border sites take the first letter of each country code (e.g. EW for England/Wales; SO for Scotland/Offshore). The tabs are:
- SAC site details – contains summary information about the SACs themselves, including their size, location and date of designation. This tab contains descriptions of the quality/importance of the site and physical characteristics.
- SPA site details – contains summary information about the SPAs themselves, including a brief description, their size, location and date of classification. Most of the data are sourced from the Natura 2000 Data Form, the exceptions are those in 'overview' and 'local authority' which are sourced from the 2001 SPA Review. The list includes all classified SPAs. There is also an indication of which sites contain marine components (i.e. can be considered to be part of the Marine Protected Areas Network).
- Admin regions – contains details of the administrative regions for each site using the NUTS Level 2 categories.
- SAC interest features – contains a full listing of all Habitats Directive features occurring on SACs in the UK. This includes non-qualifying ('D-grade') features that are not a reason for SAC selection at a particular site. Note that a feature may not occur on all parts of a site, especially in the case of large SACs.
- SPA interest features – shows bird data submitted to the EU (i.e. the occurrence of each species on each site. The list of species for each site includes only those listed on the Natura 2000 Data Form submitted to the European Commission (specifically those listed in section 3.2 of this form). It does not yet take account of the amendments published in the SPA Review, because in many cases these data have not yet been submitted to the EU as part of an amended Natura 2000 Data Form. This does not include assemblages – these are listed in a separate sheet.
- Maps – offers a simple mapping facility. If a particular feature or site is selected in the above worksheets using the Autofilter function, a dot map will be displayed showing the location of the site(s).
- Habitat classes – indicates the percentage of each SAC/SPA comprised of certain broad habitat types. These are intended to give a general impression of the character of the SAC. They should not be confused with the Annex I habitats, which are listed in the SAC interest feature worksheet.
- Threats and pressures – lists the positive and negative factors that impact on the site. These data were collated for the first time in the UK as part of the December 2015 submission to the EU.
- Designation type – this refers to a very limited range of National Designations, specifically SSSI, (ASSI in Northern Ireland), Marine Nature Reserves and National Nature Reserves.
- Management Body – indicates the appropriate Statutory Nature Conservation Bodies.
- Management plan – indicates whether or not a management plan exists for the site.
Resource type NonGeographicDataset
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2020·12·18
The information provided here follows the officially agreed site information format for Natura 2000 sites, as set out in the Official Journal of the European Union recording the Commission Implementing Decision of 11 July 2011 (2011/484/EU). This is known as the Standard Data Format. Each of the tabs in the spreadsheet has been derived from a master database managed by JNCC. This database is used to provide the official EU submission and also to generate the Standard Data Forms. Prior to December 2015, JNCC published separate spreadsheets for both SAC and SPA. As part of the December 2015 submission, several sections of the UK’s previously published Standard Data Forms have been updated. For details of the approach taken by the UK in this submission please refer to the UK Approach Document (2015). For all sites other than those in the offshore zone, the statutory nature conservation body responsible for the site (e.g. Natural England, NatureScot) has supplied JNCC with the information for the standard data forms.
Digital and Data Solutions, JNCC custodian
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Released under the Open Government Licence v3.0. Attribution statement: "Contains public sector data © JNCC/NE/NRW/SNH/DOENI. Licence: OGL"
Metadata date 2021·09·02
Metadata point of contact
Digital and Data Solutions, JNCC
Temporal extent 1999·01·01 2020·12·18