Mesozoic and Tertiary Palaeobotany of Great Britain (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 22) 2001
Volume 22 of the Geological Conservation Review series, Mesozoic and Tertiary Palaeobotany of Great Britain, is the first attempt to make a comparative analysis of the conservation value of the Mesozoic and Tertiary Palaeobotany GCR sites in Great Britain, to see how they relate to others nationally and internationally, and to demonstrate the importance of Britain in the development of palaeobotanical science. In many cases, the floras of the individual sites have never been described previously, and this alone makes this volume a valuable scientific resource. The evidence will also be invaluable in promoting the conservation of these sites because it allows, for the first time, the importance of our palaeobotanical heritage to be fully appreciated.
The history of the changing environments and evolution of the plant groups is traced through the detailed descriptions of the 52 sites, indicating the rise of conifers and cycads in the Mesozoic and, in Tertiary times, the angiosperms (flowering plants) which began to predominate at the expense of earlier plant types.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to the Mesozoic and Tertiary palaeobotany of Great Britain
- Chapter 2 – The Triassic palaeobotany of Great Britain
- Chapter 3 – The Jurassic palaeobotany of Yorkshire
- Chapter 4 – The Jurassic palaeobotany of southern England
- Chapter 5 – The Jurassic palaeobotany of Scotland
- Chapter 6 – The Cretaceous palaeobotany of Great Britain
- Chapter 7 – The palaeobotany of the Palaeocene and Palaeocene–Eocene transitional strata in Great Britain
- Chapter 8 – Early and early–middle Eocene (Ypresian–Lutetian) palaeobotany of Great Britain
- Chapter 9 – Late middle Eocene–early Oligocene (Bartonian–Rupelian) and Miocene palaeobotany of Great Britain
- References, Glossary, Fossil Index and General Index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2001··
Cleal, C.J., Thomas, B.A., Batten, D.J. & Collinson, M.E. 2001. Mesozoic and Tertiary Palaeobotany of Great Britain. Geological Conservation Review Series No. 22, JNCC, Peterborough, ISBN 1 86107 489 1.
Volume 22 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2022·06·20
Metadata point of contact