The Canyons MPA – Conservation Advice 2020
The documents here form JNCC’s formal conservation advice for The Canyons MPA and should be read in conjunction with each other. This advice reflects the most up-to-date evidence held by JNCC (correct as of August 2020), and consists of:
- Background Information – explains the purpose of the conservation advice and when it must be referred to.
- Conservation Objectives – sets out the broad ecological aims for the site.
- Supplementary Advice on the Conservation Objectives (SACO) – provides supplementary advice, which is essential reading to support interpretation of the conservation objectives.
- Conservation Advice Statements – these statements provide a summary of the SACO, and cover: Site condition; Conservation benefits; Conservation measures.
- Advice on Operations – provides information on the activities capable of affecting site integrity and therefore achievement of the site’s conservation objectives.
The Canyons MPA Site Information Centre is the most up-to-date source of information for this site.
The conservation advice package was updated to version 2.0 in August 2020, as new features (Coral gardens and Sea-pen and burrowing megafauna communities) were added in the third tranche of Marine Conservation Zones. Note that the Conservation Advice Statements document (version 2.0) was republished in December 2020, following a minor amendment to some of the generic text; none of the text relating to the site or its features has changed.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2020·08·01
JNCC’s formal conservation advice for The Canyons MPA.
Communications, JNCC author
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2021·01·21
Metadata point of contact