Fossil Fishes of Great Britain (Geological Conservation Review Series No. 16) 1999
Volume 16 of the Geological Conservation Review series, the Fossil Fishes of Great Britain, gives a general outline of the classification and evolution of fishes from early Palaeozoic times to the present. It describes in detail the GCR sites in Britain from which important fish fossils have been obtained.
The origin of vertebrate animals around 500 million years ago is an important topic in biology, and the subsequent evolution of the first vertebrates to appear – as fishes – has been an important study, drawing its data from fossils and the rocks in which they occur. From the advanced fishes of the Devonian period evolved the first four-legged creatures, aquatic, then amphibious in habit, and then some forsaking dependence upon water as the earliest kind of reptile. An understanding of the environments and communities in which this evolution took place is a prime concern of this book.
The contents of the volume include:
- Prelims – including an introduction to the Geological Conservation Review (GCR) and the list of sites discussed in the volume.
- Chapter 1 – British fossil fish and amphibian sites
- Chapter 2 – Silurian fossil fishes sites of Scotland
- Chapter 3 – Late Silurian fossil fishes sites of the Welsh Borders
- Chapter 4 – Early Devonian fossil fishes sites of the Welsh Borders
- Chapter 5 – Early Devonian fossil fishes sites of Scotland
- Chapter 6 – Mid-Devonian fossil fishes sites of Scotland
- Chapter 7 – Mid- and Late Devonian fossil fishes sites of England and Wales
- Chapter 8 – Late Devonian fossil fishes sites of Scotland
- Chapter 9 – British Carboniferous fossil fishes sites
- Chapter 10 – British Permian fossil fishes sites
- Chapter 11 – British Triassic fossil fishes sites
- Chapter 12 – British Jurassic fossil fishes sites
- Chapter 13 – British Cretaceous fossil fishes sites
- Chapter 14 – British Cenozoic fossil fishes sites
- Chapter 15 – Sites for British stem Tetrapoda and Amphibia
- Glossary and Index
Please note: this volume has been produced from a scan of an original document. You may therefore experience fluctuations in quality.
Resource type Publication
Topic category GeoscientificInformation
Reference date 1999··
Dineley, D. & Metcalf, S. 1999. Fossil Fishes of Great Britain. Geological Conservation Review Series No. 16. JNCC, Peterborough, ISBN 1 86107 470 0.
Volume 16 of the Geological Conservation Review Series.
Communications, JNCC publisher
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2022·03·23
Metadata point of contact