Tranche 2 Marine Conservation Zone Advice Documents (2014–2015) 2015
The suite of documents was part of JNCC's scientific advice on the offshore Marine Conservation Zones (MCZs) considered for designation by Defra in 2016. The sites considered constitute the offshore component of what is subsequently referred to as 'Tranche Two MCZs', three sites of which were previously designated in Tranche 1, with additional features considered for designation during Tranche Two.
JNCC's Tranche 2 advice includes a UK-wide MPA network assessment to identify ecological gaps post-Tranche 1 designations; a 2014 review of MCZ features of conservation importance; pre- and post-consultation advice, and underpinning evidence quality assurance protocols.
- (1) Identifying the remaining MCZ site options that would fill big gaps in the existing MPA network around England and offshore waters of Wales & Northern Ireland (February, 2014)
- (2) JNCC’s pre-consultation scientific advice on possible offshore Marine Conservation Zones considered for consultation in 2015 (June 2014)
- (3) JNCC clarifications on the habitat definitions of two habitat Features of Conservation Importance: Mud habitats in deep water, and; Sea-pen and burrowing megafauna communities (June 2014)
- (4) Report 519: An independent quality assurance of evidence assessments undertaken by JNCC for possible Tranche 2 rMCZs (November, 2014)
- (5) JNCC's post-consultation scientific advice on offshore Marine Conservation Zones proposed for designation in 2015/16 (July, 2015)
Additional background information on tranche 2 is available on JNCC's Tranche 2 webpages, available on The National Archives website.
Resource type Publication
Topic category Environment
Reference date 2015··
This suite of documents was part of JNCC's scientific advice on the offshore Marine Conservation Zones (MCZs) considered for designation by Defra in 2016.
Communications, JNCC author
Limitations on public access No limitations
Use constraints Available under the Open Government Licence 3.0
Metadata date 2019·12·17
Metadata point of contact